CEIU Education Program
Local Administration (1 ½ days)
• Participants will learn about the structure of the Union with a focus on that
crucial union presence in the workplace: the Local. By examining the
administrative tasks and the various roles of elected officers, participants will
gain a greater understanding as to how to build an effective local that serves
the needs of its membership.
Facing Management (1 ½ days)
• Participants will learn how to clearly identify the issues that affect the
members of their Local, formulate demands that are aimed at solutions and
engage in effective meetings with management.
Grievance handling (1 ½ days)
• Participants will learn the legal framework that impacts on grievances and the
administrative aspects that are crucial to managing such cases as a shop
steward or local officer. As well, participants will learn how to build a
grievance case and present it as the member’s union representative.
Health and Safety (1 ½ days)
• Participants will learn about the Canada Labour Code Part 2 as well as the
obligations and responsibilities it brings to the workplace for the employer, our
members and union representatives. This is a overview course and is not
intended to replace formal training required for Occupational Safety & Health
Human Rights (1 ½ days)
• Participants will learn about the recourse options through the Canadian
Human Rights Commission and the grievance process, the grounds to make
such complaints and the legal context of these processes.
Disability Insurance (1 day)
• Participants will learn how the DI application process works and what they and
the rest of the union can do to help members face the challenges of this often
Suzanne Sorensen | CEIU
530-789 Pender St W Vancouver BC V6C 1H2
Tel 604.436.3120 | Toll Free 800.663.3151 | Fax 604.436.3108
Do you like this page?